Friday, November 28, 2014

Thinking Out Loud or, Oooops!


In Air Water Ground, I state early on in the section on Creative Instability that:

“I make the following assumption; It is good for my species to survive in a complex social form. I do not found this assumption on any fact, theorem, or belief. The root is purely desire.”
Correction?:
I make the following assumption; It is good for my species to survive in a complex social form. Wherein some semblance of individual liberty exists. I do not found this assumption on any fact, theorem, or belief. The root is purely desire.
Granted, a Creative Instability inspired process could give rise to any number of governance formats, I realized that:
In writing AWG, I am doing so as a child of the Enlightenment.
And
“…my species to survive in a complex social form…” may happen just fine, even on our current world line. Part of my own prejudice that kept me from seeing this is  my liking the concept of liberty.
Discussion
With the current world line (Increasing economic disparity, Increasing structural unemployment, decreasing government funds, decreasing government regulation, declining quantities globally, of usable fresh water, rapid climate change) complex social forms can exist, and probably will exist for hundreds of years at least (assuming that a general nuclear weapons exchange does not take place in future water wars).

Chinese Fascism may have a good survivability value (as is well laid out in  The Oreskes and Conway, Collapse of Western Civilization: A View from the Future (2014)). But another route is the following. The United States is obviously well into a transition to being a plutocracy. But a plutocracy under biogeophysical pressure, could itself then transition into a form of  Neo-feudalism .

You take the following things:
Vertical Dominance Socially Obligate Boundary Condition
Economic Socially Obligate Boundary Condition
Plutocracy
Cloud based tech and continued computer/communications tech
CNC (computer numerical control machines)
Frank Luntz style public relations work techniques
3D printing
Robotics
You could develop a structure of, say:
Elite/plutocrats
Artisans/Engineers
Security
Poor/underclass.

The last category would be involved in a strenuous struggle to work doing what was left to them with increasing structural unemployment due to increasing automation, (my American readers may find this familiar). Given that struggle, social outliers among the poor could be handled by the Security class. Assuming the Elite could maintain the cooperation of the 2 middle classes, this model could be driven forward in time for a long time, even under very adverse biogeophysical conditions.

We have historical precedent of sorts.
Athenian democracy simplified into more autocratic forms. The Mediterranean republics (Rome, Carthage, etc.)  became a plutocratic empire, only in the west, to “simplify” into feudalism.
Hmmm. Need to update AWG I guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment